Thursday, April 10, 2014

Veteran's Outward Bound Mountaineering, Day Seven

September 29th

            The trip home has begun.  Yesterday morning, with it still raining, Tony the Vet coordinator picked us up at the trailhead and brought coffee and doughnuts.  I think all of us appreciated it as we were all soaked to the bone.
            Once we got out of the field and back to OB basecamp we quickly de-issued our gear and were treated to an excellent lunch and closing activities.  The presentation of our pins, an Outward Bound tradition, was done around a table; we each said something nice about the person we presented the pin to.  We were presented our Outward Bound Veteran’s patch and Northwest Outward Bound t-shirt over looking the river that was next to basecamp.
            The day ended with goodbyes to Justin and Drew at a local pub and then a shuttle to the hotel.  Mark, Sammi, Brock, Scott and I had dinner at a place called the Timbers.  It was nice to end the trip having dinner with a group of us.  They are great people and truly enjoyable to spend time with in the mountains.  Though on the flight home my gut and bowels were telling me that the Timbers was not that great of food.
          I am ready to get back home to my family after such a great trip.  Seeing my family at the airport will be a welcome sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment