Thursday, April 10, 2014

Veteran's Outward Bound Mountaineering, Final Thoughts

No Hippie Kumbaya Bullshit

          Justin had told me he was organizing a trip for a military unit that had a bad deployment.  The senior NCO he was coordinating with told Justin he didn't want “any hippie Kumbaya bullshit” on the trip.  While Outward Bound is known for self discovery they have learned that the traditional “expose your feelings” exercises they use are not needed in the Veterans program.  Veteran’s get down to task and generally work together easily due to our military training and discipline.  Justin also told me they don’t try and get the Veterans to open up about our experiences.  Outward Bound has found that due to our shared experiences we tend to open up in a group of our peers, when we want too and it is never forced.
          As I've gotten older and further beyond retirement I have less contact with fellow Veterans and more important the Paratroopers I spent most of my life with.  These trips allow me time with fellow Veterans in a setting, the great outdoors, which I love.  If you've never signed up for a course and you’re an OEF/OIF Vet you owe it to yourself to do so.  I just hope you don’t bump me off the trip I’m on stand-bye for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment