Thursday, April 10, 2014

Veteran's Outward Bound, Day One

September 23rd, 2013


This will be the longest of my journal entries.  The first day of an Outward Bound trip is very long and packed full from sunrise to well after sunset.  Both of the trips I've been on have started the same, dealing with the mass of humanity that airports bring to ending the day sleeping in the backcountry.
Nothing like an “alpine start” to a mountaineering trip, I was up at 0330 for a buddy to pick me up and drive me to the airport for my early morning flight.  He dropped me off at the terminal about an hour before my flight and with my early departure I moved through security quickly and easily.  With time to spare before my flight the waiting game and people watching is about to begin.
            I started to reread Ed Viesters Will to Climb on the flight.  I find this book very enjoyable and inspirational.  Ed has made some amazing accomplishments while balancing it with his family life.  It really helps to read about how someone as accomplished as he is in the world of mountaineering still struggles with the guilt of leaving his family to do adventures.
            Even though these Outward Bound Veterans trips are very important to me I still feel guilty leaving Amy to take care of things while I’m gone.  Over the past 20 years between the military and adventures she’s had to take care of the home front over and over again, she’s pretty amazing.  McKinley hasn't made this one any easier on me, when we put her to bed last night she was crying.  While I was in Detroit I called Amy, I guess McKinley was crying on the way to school.  I’m sure she’ll pay me back someday when I’m taking her to the airport to head out on adventures of her own.  Elias is sick with a seal bark cough. Boy this doesn't get any easier on my guilt; I've dumped a lot on Amy for this week.  While in Bend I did get to Facetime with McKinley, which I think did make both of us feel better.
            The flights were pretty good other than the kid in his twenties I had to sit by on the flight from Portland to Bend.  It is amazing how some people don’t realize if you’re going to be in the close confines of an aircraft you need to shower!  Pepe le Pew would have been better to sit by.
            Once on the ground in the Bend terminal it is pretty obvious who all is in our group.  Tony our coordinator, who I've spoken to on the phone, is carrying a clipboard and wearing an Outward Bound sweatshirt.  All the other guys standing around with short hair and military bearing are obviously on our trip.  Even Sammi, the lone female, stands out; her military bearing is unlike the college students milling about.  John, an amputee (right arm below the elbow), and Scott were roommates overseas but didn’t know each other were on the trip and hadn't seen each other since the day John was hit.  Tony (different from our coordinator) and Fred deployed together but the rest of us don’t know each other, yet.
            After quick introductions we loaded the van make a stop at a grocery store for any last minute needed items and we were off for the Three Sisters Wilderness area.  One thing is for sure I don’t care what branch of the service you were in get a bunch of military guys in a van and everyone quickly makes friends.  It was about an hour and a half drive to the trailhead with another stop at a coffee shop of course.

            At the trailhead we met our guides Drew and Justin both really nice guys.  Justin wears an Emler Fudd hat and is really down to earth and laid back.  Drew is “Joe Cool”, but without any type of attitude.  We quickly move right into the shake down of our gear and packing.  On these Veteran’s trips you’re treated very much like adults.  During OB’s regular trips they dictate what you can and can’t bring, they have to.  On our trip most everything is a suggestion and we make the final decision.  After packing the gear we will be taking with us and dinner we load the remaining gear and the shelter we are under for Tony to take it back to OB’s base camp.  As it starts to cold rain we turn in to our tents for the night.  I am sharing a tent with Sammi, a USN nurse and Mark, a USMC Reserve Command Sergeant Major.  Both I will come to find out are really great people and excellent tent mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment