Monday, February 1, 2010

Still Making It Outside

So you’re the former adventurer still trying to make it happen but you have kids in tow. How do you still make it happen? It’s pretty easy but requires you to have a shift in your expectations, getting a mile down the trail may be a cause for celebration where your use to doing 10 or 15 in a day

Make sure you take a pack with diapers, snacks, and sippy cups. It will make life a lot easier. Remember you are responsible for their safety so have the proper gear for your self also, and have your camera. Getting your kids out on adventures will be something you will want to remember. Don’t worry it is normal for it to take longer to get you, the gear and the kids ready than you will actually spend outside, but it’s worth it.

You might also want to think about the adventures you do. I have been a cyclist for 20 plus years but really didn’t get back into it heavily until I had kids. I load up the bike trailer just after lunch when it is hitting nap time and we can go for an hour or two. My kids get their nap in the trailer and I get some exercise and time outside. Probably not the use Cannondale had in mine when they designed the Six13 racing bike but it works for me. The same thing works for me when the snow is flying. I enjoy dog sledding and a car seat fits perfectly into my sled bag. My son rides in the car seat, and sleeps, his sister rides the runners with me. She knows to grab on tight when we are making turns, other than that she has made up her own games that keeps her busy for the hour plus we are out with the dogs. Hand and toe warmers keep her comfortable but I have cut the runs short when it has just been to cold for her.

When we are hiking I always have my camera. Stopping to take photos gives both my kids some rest and a chance to just play. Planning lunch while we’re out gives them something special to do on the trip.

One thing I’ve noticed is how new a place is when seeing it through your children’s eyes. My wife and I have been to Kentucky’s Red River Gorge thousands of times. With our kids it is always new. It doesn’t matter if we are hiking or climbing they are seeing things for the first time and it is so exciting for them. It also helps me get over the fact that I can no longer climb 5.12 when I’m encouraging my children to climb. They may only get 5 feet off the ground but we all have a good time. On hikes we plan a destination, someplace with water they can play in is the best.

The last tip is to go no kids from time to time. My wife and I plan 1 or 2 “Mommy/Daddy” trips a year. They are only for a couple of days but they are refreshing. It usually involves kayaking, mountain biking or a winter backcountry trip something that is hard to do with kids.

I want to leave you with one last thought. A few years ago we were hiking in the Wind River Range, Wyoming. I was well ahead of my pregnant wife and our daughter who was jumping from rock to rock on the trail. A man and his older teenage daughter passed us coming down the trail with backpacks on. The man commented to wife how he remembers being in the same situation as we were then. He said to sick with it gets better and he and his daughter headed off down the trail.
So as they say on the TV show Dinosaur Train “Get out there and make your own discovery”.

To see more of my photography please visit my web site, Sean Underhill Photography, or become a fan of my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment